Bethlehem United Methodist Church was founded in 1854 with the first worshippers sitting on the ground where the current building stands today. The congregation used a bush arbor as its meeting place and later a one-room log cabin was built on the site. Later, another log room was added.
A second building was built using wide exterior pans and three-inch stripping. The building became known as the Holland School, named for the first preacher of the church, Lindsey Holland. Rev. Holland donated the land on which the church was built. A long weatherboard building would later be erected.
In 1939, a tornado seriously damaged the church building and it had to be demolished. The Bremen Gateway reported on November 4, 1943 of a brick veneer building being under constructon on the grounds. The church was built by men of the church and community who strung lights and lanterns to work on the church after work. Saturday work came with picnic meals provided by the women of the church. More than 500 peope were present for the dedication of the building in October 1944.
Bethlehem United Methodist Church has a long history. Still, we are a family of faith seeking to make history rather than be history. While we value our past and where we have been, we eagerly look ahead to where we are going and are excited about how God is using us to help build God's reign on earth. We hope that you will come with us for the journey!